So Jeff and I watch a lot of TV in our spare time (the joy of Netflix), and lately we’ve been watching the show Angel, Joss Whedon’s excellent vampire drama. I’ve watched it before a few years ago on one of my long summers working at the Library, but the only exposure Jeff’s had to Whedon shows is Firefly. So we’ve been settling in over the break and enjoying mini-marathons of episodes of Angel.
Last night we decided to get a little silly and turn a couple episodes of Angel into a drinking game. For those of you who have some knowledge of the show, we’re in the middle of Season 2 and last night we watched ‘Blood Money’ (2.12) and ‘Happy Anniversary’ (2.13).
Here are the rules we came up with for the drinking game:
1. Every time Angel looks at the camera with a brooding expression, take a drink.
2. Every time Gunn says something excessively stereotypical / ‘token black dude’, take a drink.
3. Every time Cordelia has a vision, take a drink.
4. Every time Wesley says something excessively stereotypical / British, take a drink.
5. Every time Angel has an awkward conversation with a member of the opposite sex, take a drink.
6. Every time Cordy acts excessively obsessed with money, take a drink.
7. Every time Wesley adjusts his glasses, take a drink.
8. Finish your drink if at any time you wonder to yourself ‘how was this show considered PG?’
9. Take a drink every time the Wolfram and Hart lawyers are avoidant of a question, or blatantly lie to another character.
10. Drink every time Merl gets the crap kicked out of him.
11. Drink every time a character warbles through a bad karaoke routine for the Host.
That’s all we’ve come up with so far. Hopefully on various occasions as we watch this show together, we’ll come up with some more. What drinking games do you play with TV shows, especially Whedon shows?
(Also, for any curious parties, we were drinking screwdrivers. The subject matter would probably beg a more appropriate drink, like vodka-cranberry or a bloody mary, but all we had was vodka and OJ).